Requesting a Tax Filing Extension

Got your taxes done? Given that April 15th falls on a Saturday this year, Uncle Sam is giving you a brief reprieve… Tax Day doesn’t actually hit until Monday, April 17th. But if that’s still not enough time, then you might need to consider filing an extension. In short, you need to file IRS Form 4868. Also keep in mind that, while you get an extension on filing, you still need to pay on time. For more details check out H&R Block’s page on filing extensions.

2 Responses to “Requesting a Tax Filing Extension”

  1. Anonymous

    I am EAGERLY awaiting an update on how everything is going with your life insurance with ING, as well as your input on single income families regarding life insurance. I’ve enjoyed your website and blog for more than 2 years now, and it has helped me get my “stuff” in gear as a single parent…FOR REAL! I WANT TO THANK YOU!!! Keep it going! To tell you the truth…I kind of “shadow” what you all do and talk about in the emails that I receive, so please don’t leave me hanging!
    P.S. My CD with ING will mature October 1st, 2008. I’m too swamped with so many other things with my 2 boys to try to figure this thing out, so, if you have any epiffanies for me, on what I can do with this CD, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess I’ll just leave it there for another 12 months @ a rate of 3.5%. Thanks. You’re the best!

  2. Anonymous

    You do have to pay, but the penalties for not filing are steeper than for not paying. Plus, it’s better to give yourself more time to do the paperwork correctly than to get in a rush, make a mistake and then hear about it from the IRS. Remember, too: April 17 is the deadline for your first estimated tax payment of 2006.

Leave a Reply